Saturday 25 January 2014

Auld Lang Syne

 SLOW



So, this is it, the new year, 2014. This is me, a busy bee who often does not stop to smell the roses and who often forgets that He has called me beloved.

 See how great a love the Father has bestowed upon us, that we should be called 
children of God; and such we are. 1 John 3:1

The Christmas Holidays came and went like a blink. We were gifted with a few snowed in days. A sort of holiday after the holiday. And it gave me some time to reflect upon the year gone by. I came up short. The year was a blur. 2013 was the year of ....... What was it the year of? I am scrounging to figure out what I can decisively say this past year was all about. It was hurried and filled with navigating the world of being a mom and then a 'back to work mom'. I went back to work and the blur became blurrier.

In those days, those cold, cabin fever, snowed in days, I knew that 2014 should be the year of SLOW.

Being in a hurry has never gained me a thing. Being in a hurry to get to the next thing has only meant not being fully present with what is right in front of me.

Through all that haste I thought I was making up time.  It turns out I was throwing it away.
 ~ Mark Buchanan

 So, I will remember that I Am Beloved. I will make Eucharisteo (thanks for gifts) a ritual in my life. I will pray slow, breath slow, raise my hands to God slow. I will kiss my husband slow, hold my kid slow, and do laundry slow.

 
Gratitude:

97. This passage in scripture from the Message translation of Isaiah 43:1-4

The God who made you in the first place, Jacob, the One who got you started, Israel:
“Don’t be afraid, I’ve redeemed you. I’ve called your name. You’re mine.
When you’re in over your head, I’ll be there with you. When you’re in rough waters, you will not go down. When you’re between a rock and a hard place, it won’t be a dead end—
Because I am God, your personal God, The Holy of Israel, your Savior. I paid a huge price for you:
    all of Egypt, with rich Cush and Seba thrown in! That’s how much you mean to me!
    That’s how much I love you! I’d sell off the whole world to get you back,
    trade the creation just for you.

98. Snow days! There is something nostalgic about snow days. Slow, quiet days at home are a great opportunity to rest and rejuvenate your body and your mind. In this fast-paced world, where cabin fever hits just because we always have to be busy doing something, I was able to feel peace in knowing that home is the best place to be for the moment. And reflect on the resolution to SLOW down a bit this year.

99. Dimples

100. Taking down the Christmas decor but leaving up the beautiful Christmas photo cards for a little while longer. They are a precious reminder of how many amazing people are in our lives.

101. A nativity that I can admire and a kid friendly version that Isaac can play with. This year I treated myself to a Christmas gift. I had been admiring the beautiful Willow Tree nativity for a few years now. I owned a sweet garage sale find nativity already but still wished to own another one to proudly display. I purchased it for myself this year and I love it. I also love the Little People version that Isaac recieved from Oma for Christmas. As a kid I always wanted to play with my Mom's ceramic nativity which was a no-no. I love that he has his own plastic one to enjoy. Love that he also knows who "baby Jesus" is.

102. 'JOY' sign. Another nativity for our front lawn. I hope that the true meaning of Christmas was recieved by all who drove by.

103. There is a warmth that you get in the sound of a record playing that you just don't get with digital.

104. Crawling into bed after a long day's work.

105. The way the house smells when bread is baking in the oven.

106. Parental luxuries: showering, grocery shopping without kids, eating your food to the last bite, hot coffee.

107. Edible bouquets.

108. Quiet time in the morning.

109. Packages and letters in the mail. Now that we tend to write more emails and share things on Facebook, a letter via 'snail mail' feels so much more special. It tells you: you are worth more, more time, more energy. I am going to try to write more letters of the tangible type this year.

110. Hot cider boiling on the stove top with mulling spices. In fact, just about anything cinnamon related I love and belongs on the gratitude list. The house smells divine, and a cup of hot cider tastes even better after a skate on an outdoor rink. It's the cherry on top to a pretty great afternoon.

111. Target, I always find something great in that store. We don't have one nearby, and that is a good thing.

112. In the midst of something I am not grateful for, migraine headaches, I am ever so thankful that my husband was home from work early unexpectedly when I arrived home from work. He was able to care for Isaac while I recouped. How convenient.

113. White Hot Chocolate.

114. Building a Bonhomme

115. Maple syrup - the real stuff.
 
 116. Little pics of little tidbits of our Christmas-time.

Courtesy Jasmine deBoer Photography









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...